Block a Website in Windows 10 without third-party software: Sometimes we tend to look for a way to block certain websites on our PC or Laptop for some reason. Likewise, a parent may look for this step to possibly let their children use the internet by blocking some harmful websites which are not meant for kids to surf anyway.
Mostly we take the use of installed Anti-virus software in the system in order to block certain websites. Websites that are not meant for children or websites you know can be malicious, or such kind of. So it is actually important to monitor your children’s online activity by blocking such websites manually.
Not only just parents, anyone can be in need of this. As for me, I used to block websites which distract me a lot. In this blog post, I’ll guide you on the easiest step-by-step way to Block a Website in Windows 10 without third-party software.
Let’s get started…
Block a Website in Windows 10 without third party software
Items you will require to configure a site to block in Windows 10
We need to add the Website domain name in the Hosts file by using Notepad (or Notepad++)
Step-1: Locate the hosts file
Here is the direct link to the Hosts file.
- You can copy the path and paste it on your File Explorer and hit enter to reach the folder where the Hosts file located.
- Or, you can open that file folder after folder manually
To manually reach the file, follow the steps below
- Go to C drive, usually written as Local Disk(C:) (the system drive where your Windows 10 is installed)
- Then Open the Windows folder
- Scroll down and find another folder within this folder name System32
- And then open the Drivers folder
- Here you will get to see a folder named etc where the hosts file is located.
This is the file we need to find.
Step-2: Open the hosts file
- If you have installed Notepad++ on your computer, you just need to select the Hosts file and right-click to edit with Notepad++
- Unless you don’t, open your normal Notepad and drag and drop the Hosts file to your normal Notepad.
This is how you can open the Hosts file on your computer.
After opening the file in Notepad, our next step is to add the website or the list of websites we are going to block in our Windows 10.
Step-3: Edit the hosts file
You just need to add the name of the website or list of websites in a pattern at the bottom of the Hosts file.
The pattern is as follows,
- 127.0.0.1 www.example1.com
- 127.0.0.1 www.example2.com
- 127.0.0.1 www.example3.com
- 127.0.0.1 www.example4.com
- 127.0.0.1 www.example5.com
So here is the IP 127.0.0.1 you need to type and then after one space you need to type the website domain name in this format www.example.com
Then just save the file. (Don’t do save as just save it by pressing CTRL+S)
That’s all you need to do.
You have successfully blocked that particular site.
Now it is time to test and see that the site I’ve added on the hosts file with that format has been blocked or not.
In my case I added Facebook, let see does it work or not.
Yeah, it works. By doing this you can completely block any website in your Windows 10. It doesn’t matter which browser you’re using, (in any mode, like, incognito, or guest) the website won’t gonna open up until you remove the pattern from the Hosts file.
What is that host’s file for?
It’s a system file a user can access for the… Purposely blocking malicious websites for security issues, Developers use them for testing programs and web applications, network administrators can use them for the purpose of testing the connection.
Why add 127.0.0.1?
This IP address 127.0.0.1 is known as localhost. This IP will not allow computers to communicate. In a simple way to give you an understanding real quick about it that if you type in 127.0.0.1 in your browser and hit enter, you will see the similar page I attached above, “The site can’t be reached“. We make use of this to instruct our computer not to communicate with that particular website.